Thursday, March 15, 2018

Blind date: ‘She was somewhat stunned to find out that I was an “old man” ’

Denise Driscoll and Randy Markes.


DENISE DRISCOLL: 48 / server/bartender

Her exes say: She’s fun, passionate, loyal

Her hobbies: Travel, skiing, music

RANDY MARKES: 58 / energy network installer

Who plays him in the movie? Dennis Quaid

First thing people notice in his home: His pet fern

6 P.M. BARCELONA WINE BAR, SOUTH END

SEIZE THE DAY

Randy I thought this might be a cosmic way to meet my match.

Denise My mother told me about [the column] and it sounded fun.

Randy I got to the restaurant early to have a drink, but decided to wait. When I saw her enter, I thought “very nice.” She was pretty. I am always intrigued by dark hair.

Denise Randy was tall and had dark hair. He was wearing all black (perhaps his favorite color?). I noticed his peace sign pin.

TIME TRAVELING

Randy We started gabbing. I thought we would share a bottle of wine but she ended up getting a glass of sangria and I ordered a nice lager.

Denise I learned he is from L.A. but has lived in Connecticut for years. We both have children, and love music and travel.

Randy We had similar backgrounds in the restaurant business and talked about our married pasts. The conversation flowed. We hit it off talking about favorite places abroad.

Denise The food was delicious, especially the paella. The dessert stood out: Coconut chocolate chip ice cream.

Randy We were scraping the pan. With our backgrounds in the business, [we] know good service when we see it.

Denise I was ready to leave by the end because I had plans to meet a friend.

LIFE IS SHORT

Randy At one point, I volunteered that life was too short to stay unhappy at 58. She was somewhat stunned to find out that I was an “old man” and I was somewhat perplexed that she was 48. Of course, I did not make an issue of her youth and inexperience (just kidding) but she was taken aback.

Denise The age difference was a factor. He asked to walk me to my car. He kissed me on the cheek and said goodnight.

SECOND DATE?

Randy I did not get the feeling she wanted one. I wish Denise all the happiness out there.

Denise There was no talk of another date. Still, I enjoyed the evening.

POST-MORTEM

Randy / B+

Denise / B

No comments:

Post a Comment